Medical treatment system of the ROK
Public health clinics
- Public health clinics are public medical institutions run by the ROK government. Most public health clinics conduct public health projects such as vaccinations and primary care. The costs are relatively low.
Clinics and hospitals
- Clinics and hospitals are usually specialized in fields such as internal medicine and otolaryngology. They mainly provide primary care, but hospitals also hospitalize patients for simple treatments.
- If one's injury or disease is serious, one should use a general hospital. The waiting time is longer and treatment is more expensive, but treatment by different specialized departments is available at one place.
- One can easily buy simple household medicines at pharmacies including digestive, headache, motion sickness medicines, and ointments for cuts/wounds.
- The ROK separates the prescription and dispensing of drugs, so prescription drugs can be bought at pharmacies only with a doctor's prescription.
Insurance for medical expenses
Health insurance under the 「National Health Insurance Act」
- Health insurance under the 「National Health Insurance Act」is one form of social insurance where the subscribers pay premiums, and the National Health Insurance Corporation pays their medical expenses when they use hospitals, etc.
- Since medical expenses are greater if one uses hospitals, etc. without health insurance, one should subscribe to health insurance when sojourning in the ROK for long.
Health insurance of private insurance companies
- Foreign students can buy health insurance from a private insurer in their home country or the ROK. If they receive treatment for disease or injury in the ROK, they should take the receipts, statements, etc. and ask their insurer to reimburse them later.