Subscription to and use of mobile phone service
Subscription to mobile phone service
- A foreign student who intends to subscribe to mobile phone service should submit a copy of his foreigner registration certificate or passport to a branch or agency of a mobile telecommunications operator. If a proxy subscribes on his behalf, the identification card of the proxy should be presented (Refer to the website and policy terms of each mobile telecommunications operator).
- A foreign student cannot subscribe to general mobile phone service if his legal domestic sojourn period will expire within 60 days. In this case, he can use a prepaid mobile phone.
※ A ‘prepaid mobile phone' is a mobile phone that operates on a prepaid card issued by a mobile telecommunications operator. The charge of each call is deducted in real time from the card.
Use of mobile phone service
- If one subscribes to mobile phone service (excluding prepaid mobile phones), there will be a monthly bill with a flat rate and usage charges, and the bill will come due on a preset date of each month. If the service is initiated or cancelled, terminal is rented, or rate is changed in the middle of a billing period, the basic rate in the form of a monthly flat rate, additional charges, terminal rent, and short-term mobile phone rent are calculated on a pro-rated basis for the days of actual usage.
- Mobile phone service under the name of a foreign student is immediately suspended when his legal sojourn period expires, unless he submits a document that proves his legal sojourn period has been extended, or is considered an excellent customer by the telecommunications operator (The website and policy terms of each mobile telecommunications operator should be referred to).
Cancellation of mobile phone service
- A foreign student who intends to cancel a mobile phone service should submit a copy of his foreigner registration certificate or passport to a branch or agency of the telecommunications operator. One should be aware that some operators do not allow cancellation by a proxy (Refer to the website and policy terms of each mobile telecommunications operator).
Subscription to and use of landline phone service, etc.
There is no special restriction on foreign students to subscribe to landline phone, high-speed Internet, cable TV, satellite TV, and other such services. One should choose an operator to subscribe to, contact its subscription department or customer service center, and apply for subscription.
The subscription procedures, payment of usage charges, suspension and cancellation of subscription, etc. are determined by the operator.