Foreign Students
Concept of visas
- Visas are recommendations by consuls for foreigners' applications for permission to enter the ROK.
- A foreigner intending to enter the ROK shall obtain a visa or foreigner entry permit in addition to a valid passport issued by his home country (Article 7(1) and (3) of the 「Immigration Control Act」).
- Nevertheless, any foreigner who falls under any of the following may enter the ROK without a visa (Article 7(2) of the 「Immigration Control Act」):
1. A person who obtains permission for reentry or who is exempted from permission for reentry, and who enters the country before the period of such permission or exemption expires; and
2. A person who is a national of the country which has concluded an agreement on the waiver of visas with the ROK, and who becomes an object of exemption under the convention
※ The countries that concluded agreements on the waiver of visas with the ROK are listed at the 『Hi Korea(the main site of the electronic government for foreigners)』 site.
- A foreigner who does not hold a valid passport and visa when entering the ROK may be deported from the ROK (Subparagraph 1 of Article 46(1) of the 「Immigration Control Act」), and shall be imprisoned with labor for not more than three years or fined up to KRW 20 million (Subparagraph 2 of Article 94 of the 「Immigration Control Act」).
Types of visas
- Depending on the number of possible entries, visas shall be categorized as single visas valid for only one entry into the ROK and multiple visas valid for two or more entries within the valid period of the visa (Article 8(1) of the 「Immigration Control Act」). There are student (D-2), general trainee (D-4), general short-term (C-3), tourist (B-2), and other types of visas, depending on the domestic sojourn status (Articles 10 and 10-2 of the 「Immigration Control Act」, Article 12 and the attached Tables 1 and 1-2 of the 「Enforcement Decree of the Immigration Control Act」).