Application for the beautician’s (nail) license
Method of applying for the license
- A person who intends to be issued with a beautician’s (nail) license shall attach the following documents to file an application to the head of a Si/Gun/Gu (Article 6(1) of the Public Health Control Act and Article 9(1), (3), and Attached Form 7 of the Enforcement Regulations of the Public Health Control Act).
· A copy of application form for the beautician’s license
· A copy of medical certificate issued by a medical doctor within the past six months to prove that the applicant does not fall within the definition of a psychiatric patient as prescribed in the Act on the Improvement of Mental Health and the Support for Welfare Services for Mental Patients, or alternatively, for the case where the applicant has been recognized to be suitable to work as a barber or a beautician by a specialized medical doctor, a copy of medical certificate issued by a medical specialist to prove such suitability
· A copy of medical certificate issued by a medical doctor within the last six months so as to prove that the applicant is not a patient with tuberculosis (excluding those with non-communicable disease) pursuant to the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act whose infectious disease may affect public health or an addict of narcotics, hemp, or other psychotropic drugs
· One photograph (referring to a full-color upper front body photo of the applicant with no hats on, taken within six months before the application, and sized 3.5×4.5cm, horizontal and vertical), or an electronic photo file
· A certificate for each of the following cases
Document to be submitted
▪ A person who has completed the prescribed course of beauty arts from a school recognized by the Minister of Education as equivalent to or higher than a high school or a junior college in the academic level
▪ A person who has obtained an academic degree in beauty arts as he/she has been recognized as a person with attainments equal to or higher than the college or junior college graduate pursuant to the Act on Recognition of Credits, Etc.
A copy of graduation certificate or degree
A person who has completed the prescribed course of beauty arts for at least 1 year at a specialized high school, technical high school or high school under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, or various schools equivalent to a technical high school
A copy of document proving course completion
- A fee shall be paid to the head of a Si/Gun/Gu by a revenue stamp of the corresponding local government or by electronic currency, electronic payment, etc. using the information and communications network as specified below (See Article 19-2 of the Public Health Control Act and Article 10-2 of the Enforcement Decree of the Public Health Control Act).
1. Where a person newly files an application for a beautician’s license: KRW 5,500
2. Where a person intends to have a beautician’s license reissued: KRW 3,000
Issuance of beautician’s (nail) license
- In the event where a person applying for a beautician’s (nail) license is recognized as qualified to obtain such a license, he or she shall be issued with the license from the head of a Si/Gun/Gu. (Article 9(4) and Attached Form 8 of the Enforcement Regulations of the Public Health Control Act).
Reissuance of beautician’s (nail) license
Grounds for reissuance
- A beautician (nail) may apply for the reissuance of the license in events where there is a modification to the entry in the license, or the license has been lost or fallen into disuse by normal wear and tear. (Article 10(1) of the Enforcement Regulations of the Public Health Control Act).
Documents to be submitted when applying for reissuance
- A person who wishes to apply for license reissuance shall submit the following documents (including electronic documents) to the head of a Si/Gun/Gu. (Article 10(2) and Attached Form 10 of the Enforcement Regulations of the Public Health Control Act).
· An application form for the license reissuance
· An original copy of the applicant’s driver’s license (only applicable for cases where there is a modification to the entry in the license or the license has fallen into disuse by normal wear and tear)
· One photograph, or an electronic photo file
※ Cancellation or suspension of the license
▪ When a beautician (nail) falls under any of the following cases, the head of a Si/Gun/Gu may cancel his/her certificate or order a suspension of his/her certificate within a specified period not exceeding six months. However, in cases falling under subparagraph 1, 3, 5, or 6, such certificate shall be canceled (Article 7(1) of the Public Health Control Act).
1. In the event where a beautician falls under any of the following reasons for disqualification:
· An incompetent person under adult guardianship
· A psychiatric patient under subparagraph 1 of Article 3 of the Mental Health Act (however, excluding one recognized to be suitable for a beautician by a specialized medical doctor)
· A patient with tuberculosis (excluding those with non-communicable diseases) as prescribed under Item A of Subparagraph 3 of Article 2 of the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act whose infectious disease may affect public health.
· An addict of narcotics, hemp, and other psychotropic drugs.
2. When he/she leases his/her certificate to a third person
3. When his/her qualification is revoked pursuant to the National Technical Qualifications Act
4. When he/she is subject to suspension of qualification pursuant to the National Technical Qualifications Act (only for the period during which his/her qualification is suspended pursuant to the National Technical Qualifications Act)
5. When he/she has obtained the license in duplicate (referring to a license issued at a later time)
6. When he/she continues to engage in his/her business under a suspended license
7. When he/she is notified by the head of the relevant administrative agency of his/her violation of the Act on the Punishment of Arrangement of Commercial Sex Acts, Etc. or the Act on the Regulation of Amusement Business Affecting Public Morals
▪ A person who continues to operate a beauty arts (nail) business under a revoked or suspended license shall be punished by a fine of KRW 3million or less (Article 20(3)-5 of the Public Health Control Act).